Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Where did summer go?

This summer flew quicker than any I can remember. I suppose this is something we'll have to get used to as Fiona (and we) get older.

It was a summer of many visitors, adventures, and firsts. Uncle John, Papa Sharkey, and cousin Caitlin were here in May; Grandma Dale visited in June; Uncle Russ and Aunt Teresa came in July; Papa and Granny Sharkey swung by in August, followed by great aunt Pam and 2nd cousin Adrienne in September. And Grandma Dale is on her way with Grandpa Rudy next week! Phweew!

In addition to the excitement above, we had a few adventures of our own. Firstly we introduced Fiona to her first Scottish highland games. She didn't cringe at the sound of bagpipes - a promising reaction considering she freaks out when she hears most loud noises, including the blender, vacuum, and coffee grinder. In fact, today she cried when I pulled out the vacuum...I hadn't even turned it on.

We spent a lot of time on the Oregon coast this summer, and Fiona got her fill of sunshine, amazing scenery, and sea gulls. Her daddy discovered Pacific City - a beautiful beach where motorists are allowed to drive onto the beach itself and park. We picnicked out of the back of our Xterra. Granny and Papa also let us tag along with them as they rented a condo in Lincoln City, only a block away from the beach. We were there for a WHOLE WEEK. This was especially glorious for me, as I was not only able to read (for fun), and relax, but the trip also came with a built in cook, maid, and two very willing babysitters. Delightful!

As I mentioned previously, this summer was one of many first for Fiona. We discovered she adores the water, and we're sure she'll be a swimmer in high school as she kicks her legs so hard in the bath, or any other body of water, she soaks anybody or anything within 5 feet. Bathtime has become one of her favorite events. The best is the intense look of determination on her face when she kicks her little legs as hard as humanly possible. Often she's aiming at the rubber duckies in the bath with her.

She also broke her first 2 teeth within the last month. She looks much older now. :(

This summer, Fiona learned to remove her own diaper, much to her mommy's chagrin. One hot day in July, about 15 minutes before I had to leave to teach class, I had just placed dinner in the oven and was on my way upstairs to change, when I glanced at my baby. Since it was warm in the house, I had left her to play on the floor in just a diaper. On my way up the stairs, glanced at my little angel, and noticed she was holding her own diaper...it was barely fastened to her body. It was, of course, quite poopy. Just before it came completely off, I was able to snatch her up by her arm and a poop-smeared leg. I rushed her to the bathroom, and placed her in a waterless tub. I didn't know what else to do! I gave her her quickest sponge bath yet. Meanwhile, the chicken pot pie in the oven burned to a crisp, and I still hadn't changed clothes.

Fiona also learned to wave bye-bye thanks to Granny and Papa's prodding. She also sits up like a pro, and can scoot on her belly in complete circles. She's beginning to figure out that pulling her knees up to her chest helps in propelling her forward. Crawling is right around the corner. She babbles non-stop these days, and has even learned to say "Mama." Although, she mostly says it when she's upset or frustrated. She's figuring out many consonant sounds, and is surely going to be asking for the car keys before too long.

I know there are many things I'm forgetting. But this will have to do for now. We're looking forward to 3 trips within the next 3 months. I will be in my friend's wedding in Los Angeles next month. Then Bryan's off to Denver in November for a leadership academy and training for work. December, of course, is Fiona's 1st birthday and the holidays. We're looking forward to seeing many of you.

Hope you are healthy and happy.

No comments: